A Sign of the Times: Montana

| Monday, September 15, 2008


Jim Bridger Motor Court - Gardiner, Montana

After a full day of exploring Yellowstone on the bike, we rode into Gardiner, Montana --better known as the Roosevelt Gate, the northern gate to Yellowstone. We checked into our Super 8, and headed down the street for dinner. As we ate, I spied this sign across the street from the restaurant. It was broad daylight, so not much interest therefor a shot, I thought.

However, we returned to the hotel and I went down to wash clothes. There was a storm coming in over the mountains, and the clouds were becoming interesting. I sat on the curb just outside the wash room, and watched as the sun began to set across the sleepy little town. I went in to get my jacket since the temperatures were beginning to drop with the setting of the sun and the storm coming in from the south. So I figured I would play with the camera.

First I took photos of the bikes, then tried the small church across the street. I looked down the street and pondered if I should just take a walk back to that kitschy motor court I saw at dinner. It didn't seem that far, so I started walking west.

I got up to the sign and marveled at the huge Indian arrows and the retro font. But the neon light wasn't on. It wasn't quite dark, but a time when I know you can get some excellent color out the sky, if you shoot fast. I went into the office. No one.

I tried a few more shots, but this was going to take having the lights on. I returned to the tiny one room office. "Gone to the Rusty Rail" was posted on the desk. OK, that has to be near. Looked around. No Rusty Rail. I went back into the office, there a lone light switch sat precariously on the outside wall. Oh, well...lets flip it and see what happens. (Hopefully it won't be a silent alarm.)

Woo! Hoo! iIt was the neon lights. I started snapping away at the lit sign and beautiful storm clouds passing over.

And for the record....I left the light on.


©2009 Laura Smetak All rights reserved.
All photos and stories on this blog are copyrighted and use without the artists express permission is prohibited.

0 comments: