Father time is an SOB!

| Tuesday, September 30, 2008



Newspaper Stand - Cleburne, Texas

How old does something have to be before it is considered an antique?

I always like to think of signs like this as really old and a remnant of a long-a-go past...way before my time. This one may be considered old, but I definitely have a childhood memory tied to it.

I took this photo on a trip back to my birthplace with my sister this summer. I jumped out of the car to take a photo of my dad's old store front in downtown Cleburne. My much OLDER sister (just so I don't feel so old) pointed out the newspaper sign painted on the edge of an abandoned building.

I remember going here with my dad on Sundays after church. Here he would buy the Sunday paper and each of us a candy bar. My favorite...Mounds (I never feel like a nut, so Almond Joy is never an option.) My mom liked Mounds too, but she hankered for Baby Ruths mostly and Banana Bites. Remember those? The big banana taffy squares - almost like Laffy Taffy, but much better. She'd have us buy the whole box. Back then, you probably got them for a penny--when penny candy was really a penny.

Another cool old sign. But I hate that what I think of as an antique also dates me as one. Dammit.

©2009 Laura Smetak All rights reserved. All photos and stories on this blog are copyrighted and use without the artists express permission is prohibited.

0 comments: