Seeing the forest for the trees

| Friday, September 25, 2009


Archway - San Francisco, Ca

Recently I made my first visit to San Francisco. I really enjoyed the beauty that surrounds this city. The Victorian architecture is everywhere and survives next to modern skyscrapers. The contrast is what makes the city so beautiful.




First Presbyterian Church 1874/1911 - Van Ness Dr. San Francisco

This church was just about a block from my hotel. I had just arrived in San Francisco and had a few hours to kill before I could check into the Holiday Inn. Now, you have to realize, I am pretty inexperienced at traveling by myself, and especially trying to get around using public transit. I decided that the first thing I would do is see the Golden Gate Bridge. It would kill a few hours. So the concierge told me to walk down to Sacramento St. and hop on the #1 bus to Park Presidio, transfer to #28 and it would take me to the bridge.

I took a deep breath, and decided to make my first step of my big adventure. As I walked to the first bus stop, there was another photographer walking in front of me. I was taking in the sights and kind of got a kick out of watching him spot the same things I did. I got close to bus stop, and we both saw this church. He was busy snapping away, so I passed him. I watched him focus in on the elaborate carvings of grapes around the windows on the side of the building. I looked up and saw this huge stained glass window on the front, with colorful tiles and the similar carvings repeated on the front. He was busy on the side of the building where there were smaller windows.

I stood waiting to cross the street, trying not to be too obvious of being a newbie tourist. I noticed he had yet to see the biggest element on the building. I watched him, and he backed up to get another angle, I said "Have you seen the huge window on the front, it is beautiful." He looked up and the surprise on his face was kind of funny. He had been so busy focusing in on the details, he was missing the big picture. He politely said thanks, and started shooting the window.

After my visit to the bridge, I had to pass the church again. I stopped and took a few photos. What amazed me about the church were the colors. The colorful tiles looked quite modern, but you could see it was all original design.

I love the details of things. To focus in tight and see those tiny things that make up the whole. But sometimes I have to remind even myself to watch for the forest AND not just the trees.

©2009 Laura Smetak All rights reserved.
All photos and stories on this blog are copyrighted and use without the artists express permission is prohibited.

1 comments:

Cindy said...

These are great!!!