Welcome to the Rock

| Saturday, September 26, 2009


Dance Hall - Alcatraz Island, San Francisco




Rooftop - Alcatraz Island, San Francisco




Lighthouse - Alcatraz Island (Flag at half mast in honor of Sen. Edward Kennedy)




The Warden's house - Alcatraz, San Francisco

A surprising part of my trip was my visit to Alcatraz Island. Everyone said I should go, so I went. I barely made the last tour of the afternoon of my first day. The sun was setting and the wind just about blew you over there. I began to get pretty chilly as the sun was going down.

But the best thing about that time of day, was the way the light cast itself on the ruins of old structures and through the barred windows. It is easy to see nature is reclaiming many of the structures. You can imagine the ghosts who still stay.

I highly recommend you take the audio tour while you are there. It is narrated my many of the inmates and guards, and even family member of staff who grew up on the island. It is eery, yet beautiful.

And in case you are wondering, yes Alcatraz had a dance hall, where socials were held for staff and family who lived on the island.

©2009 Laura Smetak All rights reserved.
All photos and stories on this blog are copyrighted and use without the artists express permission is prohibited.

1 comments:

Cindy said...

I think the rooftop pic is my favorite.