Flashback in Alameda

| Monday, September 28, 2009

One of my main reasons for traveling to San Francisco was to see my very talented and life-long friend, Cary, who had spent the summer in the Bay Area doing summer musicals. He was the vocal director of Alameda Civic Light Opera's (ACLO) production of Hair at the Kofman Auditorium. The 60s musical was brought back to the Bay area where the hippie movement had started, and it seemed to be the perfect place to see it for my first time. The performance was top notch, and was a perfect nightcap to my wonderful weekend.


Curtain Call Frenzy - Alameda Civic Light Opera's "Hair"



Kofman Auditorium - Alameda, California


It is unbelievable that Kofman Auditorium, built in 1926, is a high school auditorium. It is unlike any that I have seen. I was taken with the architecture and lights. I kept studying the ceiling and the artistic lights and carvings surrounding me. Todd, one of my newer friends grew up here, and this was his high school and said that it had recently been renovated and brought up to earthquake code. The years had taken its toll and it was deemed unsafe for students to use. But seeing what they had brought back to life was beautiful.

The whole island is this way. Victorian homes line the street, the downtown is full of art deco architecture. New buildings are built to blend seemlessly with historic buildings.

During my stay, a rare summer thunderstorm had come up. That evening, the streets of Alameda reflected the neon lights of local restaurants. Across from Linquini's was Ole's Waffle Shop and the bright neon's caught my eye, as everyone said their evening farewells.


Ole's Waffle Shop - Alameda, California



Farewell between old and new friends - Cast and crew of Hair, Alameda, California

Thanks to Cary, Todd and the cast of Hair for making my mini vacation such a wonderful and memorable trip.


©2009 Laura Smetak All rights reserved.
All photos and stories on this blog are copyrighted and use without the artists express permission is prohibited.

0 comments: