Remember the Alamo

| Wednesday, March 11, 2009


Alamo Village - Bracketville, Texas

Earlier this past summer, we took a trip to the Texas Hill Country and ended up in Bracketville and about 50 miles from Mexico. We found ourselves on the movie set of many famous westerns such as The Alamo with John Wayne, and Two Rode Together with Jimmy Stewart and Richard Widmark. Many famous people had walked the same western streets I was now walking. We were the only people there that day, other than the reenactors that sat waiting for someone to perform for.

The set was built in the 50s for the movie The Alamo and the replica of the Alamo is still there. It is quite impressive. If you've been shocked to find the real Alamo in the middle of a urban city, it is kind of cool to see this one, sitting in the middle of a field, with fortress walls around it. The way it should be.

I strolled the set and found some really cool things to photograph. This was the window to the prop building. I just took a couple of shots, and just moved on. But several months later, I decided to try some sharpening and adjustments to play with the rustic look of the adobe and the wooden spokes. I am quite pleased at what came out here.

©2009 Laura Smetak All rights reserved.
All photos and stories on this blog are copyrighted and use without the artists express permission is prohibited.

2 comments:

blessedintx said...

This is another one I would like to have a copy of! Just love that spoke in the window...Don't ever really know why i fall in love with a particular shot, I just do and they are always shots you took!!

Lipsmack Studio said...

Thanks. I liked it too. Funny, I sold it to a lady at work on Friday.