Putting myself on display

| Saturday, January 10, 2009




Wednesday Night Special - McKinney, Texas 1986

I am getting pretty excited about my first photo exhibition. I have been gathering photos in preparation of the show and it is funny to see the progression of 25 years of photos. I guess my love of night shots and neon signs started earlier than I recall.


I remember taking this photo back in college when I worked as a photojournalist here in McKinney. I was driving down the service road of Central Expressway and spied this guy changing the daily special on the Holiday Inn sign. So I circled back and took a few shots.


I found the old negative in that same folder I told you about previously. I think I may have printed the photo once. Originally it was taken with black and white film. I remember hand tinting the print and then gave it to a friend who liked it. Never to see it again until now. But with the magic of computers, I was able to make it come back to life as I originally pictured in my head when I took it.


The old Holiday Inn sign no longer exists. The hotel has been sold to another chain. Holiday Inn has updated their brand and built a beautiful new hotel in McKinney. Ironically, some friends and Chris and I stayed there for New Years Eve. Little did I know a few days later I'd be reminiscing over the old Holiday Inn neon sign. Funny how that works.


I would like to extend an invitation to my followers and friends to come see my first show, Laura Smetak At Work and On the Road 7 p.m. January 31, 2009 at the McKinney Performing Arts Center in downtown McKinney. Many of my blog photos will be on display as well as my work photos of McKinney.


©2009 Laura Smetak All rights reserved.
All photos and stories on this blog are copyrighted and use without the artists express permission is prohibited.

0 comments: